The professional staff at St. Luke's, in collaboration with medical and health experts in cancer care, have designed this program that is tailored for individualized therapy after surgery for breast cancer. Our team of physical and occupational therapists are sensitive and caring and have many years of experience in women's health and oncology rehabilitation.
Click here to view more information.
Individuals who need physical or occupational therapy after any of the following surgeries for breast cancer:
- Excisional biopsy
- Lymph node biopsy or removal
An individualized treatment plan created by the therapist with physician and patient input will result in improved patient functionality, greater independence and quicker recovery and will include:
- Education in prevention and treatment of lymphedema
- Activity guidelines and modifications for home, work, leisure and sports activity
- Improved shoulder and arm function through active and low intensity resisted exercise, manual therapy, stretching, soft tissue work and shoulder girdle muscle retraining
- Abdominal and core muscle retraining
- Gentle aerobic conditioning
- Management of radiation, chemotherapy or hormonal therapy side-effects
Valerie Wang: A Physical Therapist's Personal Journey to Recovery